We will begin with a group of selected "early adopters" and then continue phasing in the services with additional groups of staff and volunteers.
What’s Google Apps?
Google Apps is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on our own domain name servers. Google provides these applications as a "service," rather than as software to download and install. To access these applications, you simply use a web browser on a computer that's connected to the Internet.
Why did we choose Google Apps?
Based on recent Central Bedfordshire Canine Trust growth and cost trends, we looked for an email, server and calendar solution that could provide with us the following benefits:
- Lower infrastructure costs -- All our email will be stored securely on Google's servers, so we'll no longer need to maintain email servers on-site
- Ability to consolidate our platforms -- We can eliminate software redundancy by moving all of our email and calendar platforms to Google Apps
- Lower support costs -- Because Google hosts the email and calendar services, there's no more email client software to maintain on our computer.
- Innovative solutions -- We can leverage the ongoing creative and technical solutions of the Google Apps platform to provide staff and volunteers with powerful, easy-to-use tools for getting their work done.
- Highly scalable environment -- With Google Apps, our email capacity will grow automatically as Central Bedfordshire Canine Trust grows, and we'll avoid the complexity of internal systems.
- Access to services from anywhere, anytime -- A key benefit of the Google-hosted solution is that we can access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection, anywhere in the world. This is particular essential for recruiting and maintaining home working volunteers for instance.
- More collaboration features -- With Google's next-generation applications, we can collaborate with colleagues, customers, and partners more easily and efficiently than ever before
- Instant messaging -- Because Google Apps includes Google Talk, we can now implement an instant messaging system for Central Bedfordshire Canine Trust.
All Central Bedfordshire Canine Trust; volunteers, staff, officers, Trustees and committee members will be set up with a Google Apps Server Account. Login details will start being circulated from now on. You email address will be either @centralbedfordshirecaninetrust.com or @centralbedfordshiredogshow.co.uk
What exactly does Google Apps include?
Here are some of the key benefits we think you'll enjoy:
- Lots of storage -- You get a full 25 GB of online storage for your email so you can archive all of your email online. You'll no longer need to worry about deleting messages or saving them in offline folders.
- Enhanced message organisation and retrieval -- With Gmail, you'll spend less time managing folders and looking for messages. For example, you can add one or more tags, or "labels," to your messages to organise and store them more efficiently. And with the Google-powered search feature, you can find any message quickly and easily, whether it's in your Inbox or stored in your message archive.
- Easier calendar sharing -- Google Calendar lets you and your team members quickly and easily share your calendars with each other and specify the details you want to show. Calendar sharing is a great way for you and your coworkers to keep each other informed about your schedules. Now it's easier than ever to find out if someone is in a meeting, on a business trip, or on vacation.
- Better mailing lists -- With Google Groups, you can manage your own subscriptions to mailing lists -- called groups -- without the need to make requests to the IT Department. You can even create your own groups for your projects, teams, special-interest groups, and more. Not only do groups make it easier to send email and calendar invitations to groups of people but they also simplify access management for your shared Google documents, sites, videos, and calendars!
- Real-time collaboration -- Using Google Docs, you can create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, and you and your team members can view and edit them at the same time. You can still use your other software products as needed, but now you'll have more options for storing and collaborating on your documents.
Are we getting the same applications?
They are similar, but we'll be using the business-class edition of Google Apps, which provides more features, more support, and an "up-time" guarantee.
Will my email address change?
If you already have an @centralbedfordshirecaninetrust, email address, then no, your email address won't change! You'll continue to receive all your email at your current address.
Are you migrating my email and calendar to Google Apps?
Yes, we'll migrate all of your email messages, calendar events, and personal contacts from Microsoft Outlook to Google Apps during non-business hours, so they'll be ready for you when you log in to your new Google Apps account.
Do I need to do anything after I get my Google Apps account?
You'll just need to complete a few simple tasks to complete your migration, such as recreating any email rules you used in and setting up your mobile device.
Will you provide assistance during the transition?
Members of the IT support contractors team will also be available to answer your questions or resolve any issues you encounter.
How much time will it take to set up and learn how to use Google Apps?
You'll be able to master the basics -- sending and receiving email and viewing and scheduling meetings -- very quickly. However, the time required to completely move over to Google Apps can vary, depending on how you currently use Outlook. For example, for a typical email and calendar migration, expect to spend about 4 to 8 hours over the course of a week or so, to review documentation, and set up your services. If you also access email on a mobile device, plan on spending a bit more time.
How Do I Log In?
Once you have been issued your username and password, it is easy to log in.
1. Desktop - we can send you details of a quick, simply programme which will set up links on your desktop.
2. This website - Go To: Contact Us > Staff & Officers Area
3. Click on the following link, then bookmark (add to favourites) the page:
We think you'll enjoy your new Google Apps services, and we're committed to making this a smooth transition.